Verizon is easily fooled by spamming zombies

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Wed Jun 1 17:52:20 UTC 2005

On Jun 1, 2005, at 12:51 PM, Gadi Evron wrote:

>> If the ISP wants to use SMTP AUTH or other mechanisms to lower abuse,
>> that's fine.  But to say "only allow ISP.net from addresses - but
>> allow
>> them from anywhere on the 'Net" is kinda ... silly.
>>

> No, it makes perfect sense but that is the one thing I fear we'll have
> to agree to disagree on.

I fear you will have to agree to disagree with just about anyone who
runs a large mail server.

>> The solution presented here is not only not a solution, it is also a
>> problem.
>>

> Okay, then I suppose I don't understand the problem. How exactly do
> you
> mean?

1) It is not a solution because it does not stop spam.  In fact, it
is easier to send spam through VZ's mail servers than just about
anyone else's.

2) It is a problem because they do not allow things almost every
other ISP does - things which are "standard" and things for which the
anti-spam community has been fighting to put in place for many years.

--
TTFN,
patrick