Administration Asks Appeals Court To Compel ISP Searches

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jun 1 05:30:32 UTC 2005

No.

An NSL is a letter that does not require any sort of court approval and
allows Law Enforcement to demand specific records and logs without
disclosure
and with no way to challenge the NSL short of challenging the
constitutionality
of the law authorizing NSLs in general.

The primary difference between it and a subpoena is the ability to challenge
it, and, the lack of requirement for court approval.

Some subpoenas come with gag orders, some do not.

ALL NSLs are automatically gag orders.

I have never seen an NSL and have never received one.  If I had, I would not
be able to say that I had or had not.  You can pretty well read between the
lines of the earlier poster that said he did not mean to imply that he had
or had not received an NSL that he most definitely had received some.  I
don't
know for sure, but, I'm pretty sure that's what it meant.

Not having received one, I have no gag order, so, I am free to tell you I
haven't received one.

Owen

--On Tuesday, May 31, 2005 14:53 -0400 Jason Frisvold

--
If this message was not signed with gpg key 0FE2AA3D, it's probably
a forgery.