NETGEAR in the core...

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Sun Jul 31 02:11:28 UTC 2005

At 09:41 PM 7/30/2005, Robert E.Seastrom wrote:
>OK, not really "in the core", but the subject made you look at least.  :)

That's for sure! ;)

>I'm interested in people's experiences with consumer-grade routers
>functioning in non-NAT mode; that is to say, running PPPoE to the ISP
>and routing a /29 or a /28.  A sane filtering language and stateful
>firewall that can operate in non-NAT mode is a plus.

Have you looked at the cheaper (<$200) Netopia routers which have built in
hardware IPSec, stateful inspection, and reasonably useful packet filtering
capabilities? We also use and like the CyberGuard SnapGear series of
routers which are cheap, fast, and reliable and the PIX501 is a great basic
firewall for low traffic loads. Here are some links:

http://www.netopia.com/equipment/products/3000/3300_bus.html

http://www.cyberguard.com/products/firewall/SG_Family/

The 1721 is a good little box, but not in the same range with throughput
(too low) or price (too high.)

We have used NetGear's little 5 port switches for smaller colo clients, but
their routers are too flaky to deploy to customers. Linksys is the same
way. They work great 99% of the time, but every once in a while they have
to be power cycled for some unknown reason. Good luck with your search!

-Robert

http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franklin