NETGEAR in the core...

Robert E.Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Sun Jul 31 01:41:54 UTC 2005

OK, not really "in the core", but the subject made you look at least.  :)

I'm interested in people's experiences with consumer-grade routers
functioning in non-NAT mode; that is to say, running PPPoE to the ISP
and routing a /29 or a /28.  A sane filtering language and stateful
firewall that can operate in non-NAT mode is a plus.

My experiences with Linksys (and Netscreen, which isn't really at the
price point I wanted anyway) have caused me to rip out substantial
amounts of my already insufficient hair.

"Cisco 1700 series" or "Cisco 2600XM" would be nice answers if their
price had the decimal point moved one place to the left.  Linux or
other non-vendor-supplied firmware, while cool, represents an
unacceptable support load for my application.

Any thoughts?

                                        ---Rob