Cisco and the tobacco industry

Ivan Groenewald ivang at xtrahost.co.uk
Sat Jul 30 23:44:02 UTC 2005

Applying patches to binaries, hmmmmm. Sounds a bit difficult.

IMHO IOS should be completely modular. ie SNMP/QOS/BGP etc should be a loadable module etc. In the event of you patching a service specific bug, you'd only upload the new modules and insmod them. I'd be very happy if the Cisco router fairy would write and backport such an IOS. That should end this idiotic router rebooting nonsense that the internet is plagued with, for the most part.
But, there is some progress in this direction; afaik IOS XR is modular IOS but only runs on really-really-really big equipment like the Cisco CRS-1 ("Helo Dave" Red light module optional).

> The actual patch file can be located in a server at the customer's site
and Cisco can distribute them via BitTorrent :-)
That's equivalent to saying the internet is safe enough to do your corporate banking via plain text email.

my 2 pence,
ivan