Cisco and the tobacco industry

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Sat Jul 30 18:43:13 UTC 2005

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 10:28:38 EDT, "Geo." said:

> available for free like the patches need to be. So I suggest they employ a
> different patch method, you download an exe from their ftp site, it takes
> your current build which is stored on your computer, patches it, and uploads
> it to your router or you then upload it to your router.

Your original suggestion was that it push it to the router.  Security-wise, this
is very different from the router pulling it. (Hint - consider the authentication
issues, not only for a correctly set up machine, but for likely misconfigurations
actually seen out in the field).

> Everyone here knows you have a woodie for OE by the format of your posts
> which appear as attachments instead of normal text in OE. I notice that
> behavior hasn't changed either <g>. Nuff said?

My behavior hasn't changed because my MUA has been able to understand the
formats originally defined in RFC1847 and RFC2015, as updated by RFC3156, for
over a decade now.  If you don't like it, complain to your vendor, or find
a vendor who can follow the RFCs. Or you can fix it yourself by visiting
http://www.openpgp.org/resources/downloads.shtml and finding a plugin for your
MUA. A number of them are listed at http://www.gnupg.org/(en)/related_software/frontends.html#win

Curse the dark, or light a match. You decide, it's your dark.