Cisco IPv6 Exploit, was Re: 6to4 routes disappeared from most of North America

Todd Vierling tv at duh.org
Sat Jul 30 03:20:00 UTC 2005

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, John Neiberger wrote:

> Someone on another list was wondering if this IPv6 exploit might have
> something to do with the NANOG thread from a few days ago titled "6to4
> routes disappeared from most of North America".
>
> http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg09747.html
>
> Is there any reason to think that these might be related, or do we
> already know for certain that they're completely unrelated?

I started the 6to4 thread, so....

I personally doubt they're related.  I noticed the lack of 6to4 connectivity
a couple months ago, and though it to be transient; it appears instead to be
an artifact of laziness on the part of v6 network carriers.

But, since I love to feed the conspiracy nuts anyway:  Maybe the Tier-1s
were afraid that the malformed-v6 exploit could somehow be triggered by 6to4
injection and wanted to isolate the v6 network more from the more hostile v4
world.

Naaaaaah.  My money's on laziness; it's usually the case.  8-)