Boing Boing: Michael Lynn's controversial Cisco security presentat ion

Daniel Golding dgolding at burtongroup.com
Fri Jul 29 17:06:07 UTC 2005

On 7/29/05 12:56 PM, "John C. A. Bambenek" <bambenek at gmail.com> wrote:

> Remind me why I bother with information security when industry and the
> government seems to want to ensure things can be pwn3d as easily as
> possible...

If the "digital pearl harbor" does come to pass, this won't be remembered as
a shining hour for Cisco, ISS, Homeland Security (which is also in the mix),
or the FBI.

I hope the leadership at Cisco reflects on this incident and will utilize
different tactics the next time this happens. Similarly, I hope the
cybersecurity folks in our governments realize that, while a strong
relationship with vendors is essential, they must recognize that vendors
have different goals than they do.

The FBI raiding Lynn's house over a commercial dispute is too reminiscent of
Cryptonomicon for me.

- Dan