as numbers

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Jul 29 08:22:39 UTC 2005

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, Randy Bush wrote:

> you may want to read the referenced article
>
>   <http://www.potaroo.net/ispcol/2005-08/as.html>

The article states it's not fixed. I guess what I was told back then was
false, considering
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_system_(Internet)> states:

"While there is no immediate danger of exhausting the 16-bit AS number
space, several factors, principally the need of enterprises to run BGP to
multihome, is reason for concern that more space will be needed in the
moderate term. As of mid-2005, the IETF has several drafts underway that
define mechanisms for the use of an upwardly compatible four-octet, or
32-bit, AS number space. This space will not replace the existing 16-bit
space."

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se