GSM gateways in the US?!?

Daniel Karrenberg daniel.karrenberg at ripe.net
Thu Jul 28 15:30:34 UTC 2005

On 25.07 07:59, Simon Lockhart wrote:

> > There are two methods that are obvious to terminate calls into mobile
> > (GSM) networks in North America:
>
> Just to give you a .uk experience, I don't know the technical details of how
> this is implemented ....

These are pretty common plans over here even for enterprises smaller than the BBC.

A friend in a medium sized taxpayer funded organisation recently
related the following: that organisation had just invested considerably
into their PABX, particularly into toll authorisation and billing.
Shortly after this was introduced they realised that the national toll
volume sharply decreased.  They were just about to declare a serious
victory for effective cost control when they realised that this was due
a change in the corporate GSM plan that allowed essentially free
national calling and people in the organisation were making the right
choice ;-)

This suggests a much simpler solution to this whole problem: Give all the
people in the office cell phones for intra-organisational calling.
Lacks some call management features, and certainly lacks geek satisfaction,
but costs very little to implement.......

Daniel