6to4 routes disappeared from most of North America?

Todd Vierling tv at duh.org
Wed Jul 27 01:27:36 UTC 2005

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Joe Abley wrote:

> Right now we're using a 6to4 relay router in Verio's network for most traffic,
> although we do see other paths, so mileage may vary depending on which edge
> router the outbound traffic from ISC happens to exit through.

Hm.  I traced now and I see a route similar to yours, from what appears to
be the opposite interface sides of those boxes.  In any case, your routing
*is* working.  However, that doesn't seem to be the case for many North
American providers.

Worse yet, I don't think anyone is volunteering a route into the global
BGP4+ table -- so all these little networks are simply on their own if their
v6 upstreams don't hand them a direct 2002::/16 route.

(ObNANOG:  "Hint, hint, hint, hint, hint, hint, hint, hint, hint, hint.")

And wouldn't you know, now I can't see part of the RIPE world -- including
www.ripe.net itself -- from a 6to4 host, but a fixed tunnel host sees it
fine.  This doesn't look good.  <sigh>