open source tools help (contract) in DC area?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Jul 26 14:30:14 UTC 2005

At 8:41 PM -0400 2005-07-25, Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:

>>	I'm not convinced that this is an appropriate on-topic posting for
>>  NANOG.  It seems to me that you would be much better off going
>>  through SANS or SAGE to find local groups in the area that could be
>>  helpful to you.
>
>  Actually, the interest is in open-source ISP tools.

	Syslog is a standard *nix administration tool, useful for system
administrators but also used by network administrators and anyone
else doing any kind of administration on a *nix box.  RRD, MRTG, and
Ethereal are standard *nix network and system administration tools.
Flowscan and Flowtools are standard *nix network administration
tools.  I see nothing here that is unique to the ISP environment.

	Moreover, in the role of system administrator (not network
administrator), I have personally used all but one of these toolsets
-- flowscan/flowtools.  As a system administrator, I've written
syslog processing tools or hacked on syslog processing tools
originally developed by others, and in some cases I've even taken
over maintenance of those tools.

At Tue, 26 Jul 2005 00:50:23 GMT, Fergie (Paul Ferguson) wrote:

>  Don't sweat it, Howard -- some people would rather slam you
>  for what you post to the list than help out. Shame, that.

	I don't see anything in the original request that seems to make
this post more suitable for NANOG than anywhere else.  And I see
nothing here that makes this post unique to an ISP environment, or
even just more ISP-oriented than plain general network-oriented.

	Moreover, Howard was talking about a virtual training group
setting up shop that needed some help with what seemed to me to be
some very basic stuff -- the sort of thing that I would hope any
training group would have the in-house expertise to deal with,
otherwise they wouldn't be qualified to be providing training on
those topics.

	However, I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, and
assume that he just went to the wrong place to ask his question as
opposed to asking the wrong question in the first place.

	Part of the reason for my original response on this thread is
that I have been chastised a couple of times by the new-generation
moderators for being off-topic, and I recalled that we're trying to
be more self-policing about these sorts of things.

	I'm honestly trying to understand what is an on-topic post and
what is not, and it seems to me that this is pretty clearly off-topic.

	So what is on-topic?  I've got a question that I've been thinking
about for a while regarding SIP/VOIP white/yellow pages directory
services and aggregation, and I've been afraid to ask here because I
felt it might be too basic and non on-topic.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755