911, was You're all over thinking this (was: Re: Vonage Selects TCS For VoIP E911 Service)

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Mon Jul 25 13:01:33 UTC 2005

> Anyway, my point being: the current numbers have been drilled into
> our subconscious very effectively. Throwing that away woulde be an
> amazing waste of time and money.

Would it? Are humans that difficult to teach? Is all advertising
a waste of time?

> This whole "single number" hype should end anyway.

In Russia it is simple, there are three numbers:

01 - Fire Service
02 - Police
03 - Ambulance/Medical response

Easy to remember especially because the number is written
in large figures on the side of every emergency response
vehicle. You could even retrofit these numbers into other
countries because they are two digit numbers.

Although Russia has agreed to implement 112 emergency
dialling, the old numbers are still active nationwide.

--Michael Dillon