911, was You're all over thinking this (was: Re: Vonage Selects TCS For VoIP E911 Service)

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Jul 25 10:54:22 UTC 2005

At 9:55 AM +0000 2005-07-25, Peter Corlett wrote:

>  <rant> And why should the UK change its numbering system just because
>  a few dumb Yanks who can't be bothered to learn local customs? Does
>  999 get through to the emergency services in the NANP? Does 112 work
>  on non-GSM phones? How about Australia's 000? </rant>

	It would be nice if everyone in the world could agree on a single
"emergency services" number, which would work when dialed from all
types of communication devices.  However, that's a standards issue
that would need to be addressed by the ITU.

	Until then, we've got what we've got, and I don't see much in the
way of operational relevancy here.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755