GSM gateways in the US?!?

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Mon Jul 25 06:00:52 UTC 2005

At 10:43 PM -0400 on 7/24/05, Robert M. Enger wrote:
>I've seen cellular service agreements that discuss "all more almost
>all usage originating from a single cell site".
>Apparently, they discourage using fixed-location cell adapters to
>jack-in to the cellular network.
>
>I suppose one could use directional antennas on the roof, and target
>two or more of the cellular provider's
>cell cites, alternating calls amongst the sites.  You couldn't just
>use PBX routing though.  You'd have to
>distribute the calls from each fixed-location adapter across
>multiple cell-sites, so an antenna switcher would be needed.
>(If you're real close to a cell site, you probably can't get an
>antenna sufficiently directional to ensure that you use a distant
>tower...)
>
>Seems like a lot of work.  If you have enough mobiles to make this
>worthwhile, I'm surprised that the carrier
>won't cut you a deal to encourage you to stay with them (rather than
>shopping other carriers for better deal/discounts).
>If your account really matters, maybe they'll let you set up some
>VoIP trunking into their MTSO.  That would be low cost.
>

>At 08:56 PM 7/24/2005, Roy wrote:
>
>>Here is once such vendor of cellular-PSTN gateways,
>>
>  >http://www.mobilecomms-technology.com/contractors/gsm/eurotech1/

(this is somewhat off-topic, but does relate to North American
Networks in a vague sense...)

There are two methods that are obvious to terminate calls into mobile
(GSM) networks in North America:

Outbound (enterprise-to-mobile):

1) Purchase a PRI-to-GSM channel bank adapter (use Google search
terms "pri gsm" for more details) and link it into your PBX, or
Asterisk server, or what-have you.  Then, buy 23 GSM SIM cards from
Carrier C, who offers "free" mobile-to-mobile termination.  Then, buy
cell phones for all your employees on Carrier  C.  Put specific
routes into your PBX/Asterisk/ENUM routing engine so that anyone
dialing any employee's cell number gets routed to the next available
channel on the PRI gateway instead of going out to the PSTN.  The
calls lose meaningful caller ID (it shows up as the number on the GSM
chip in that semi-random channel) but administrators gain some
ease-of-use at a  low introductory price.  As you mention, it may be
against the policy of the carrier to route calls in this way.
    This is a popular method to do international VoIP-to-mobile
termination in many smaller nations with restrictive telephony laws.
Ethernet cables are often seen running out of windows in office parks
to a parked van with lots of antennas.  The van stays for a day or
so, before it shows up on the "abnormal usage" alarm list for the
closest cell tower, and then vanishes off to the next IP teat.

or

2) Buy all your employees cell phones on Carrier C.  Then, contact
Carrier C and negotiate a direct PRI into their mobile network,
hopefully at a very low rate per month.  Put specific routes into
your PBX/Asterisk/ENUM routing engine so that anyone dialing any
employee's cell number gets routed to the next available channel on
the PRI that goes to Carrier C's network.   You'd better be doing a
boatload of mobile calls, otherwise this is very cost-ineffective due
to just the local loop costs, not to mention any service charges.  I
have spoken to at least two companies who have done this with various
carriers (not necessarily GSM) but they were Fortune 100 firms which
may give them the clout to make this happen, while smaller companies
may just be out of luck.

Inbound (mobile-to-enterprise):

1) (using method 1 above)  It is unlikely that your employees will be
able to efficiently use this method to call INTO the office, since it
is unreasonable to ask everyone to remember all 23 numbers on the GSM
channel bank.  Recall that if a line is busy, there is no "hunt"
feature.  (I could be proven wrong with this, since I know there is a
GSM "forward-on-busy" configuration option, but I have NEVER seen it
work correctly on any of the three GSM networks I've tried in the
United States, and it's an ugly, ugly hack.)

or

2) (using method 2 above)  You would need to negotiate with Carrier C
to install specific routes for your office trunk prefixes such that
any calls originating inside of Carrier C's network would get pumped
over the PRI instead of being delivered via LD or ILEC handoff.   I
don't know if this is possible, but it does make one yearn for a
dynamic and filterable way to "announce" e.164 information to
carriers (and on this segue, go to the voip-peering list to hear more
tales of woe and sorrow about the lack of scale-able inter-carrier or
inter-enterprise dynamic routing protocols.)

Both methods (1 and 2) require that the administrator know every
mobile number that has been allocated to employees, for either
outbound routing or outbound announcement.

Ideally, it would be great to be able to hand off these calls into
and out of mobile carrier's networks via native IP (SIP, most likely)
since it saves everyone money and possibly increases security of
transport by having fewer entities "touch" the media stream.
However, that seems unlikely due to FUD and politics at this time.
Anyone knowing of a mobile carrier who will accept enterprise traffic
to their voice network via SIP over private or public SIP
interconnection should let me know... I've not encountered such
enlightenment yet.

JT