911, was You're all over thinking this (was: Re: Vonage Selects TCS For VoIP E911 Service)

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun Jul 24 18:20:29 UTC 2005

>> world-wide, so that if you're an American in Europe, you can still
>> call 911 and have that work as expected.
>
>Given that there are UK telephone numbers starting 911, this seems
>rather unlikely.

Given that we're talking about cell phones, it seems completely
likely.  Cell phones present the dialed number as a block, so there's
no ambiguity between 911 and 911XXXXX.  I don't know whether UK cell
carriers map 911 to 112, but there's no technical reason they can't do
so.

I agree that for VoIP using normal phones through adapters, 911 in the
UK won't work.