Switch advice please - followup

Nicole nmh at daemontech.com
Fri Jul 22 18:39:13 UTC 2005

 Thanks to everyone for their advice and stories. It seems the popular choice
is Cisco with a close second of foundry. Even a nice mention of Dell switches.
 Most people had nothing good to say about HP. (phew..  glad I asked you all) I
completely forgot abt Foundry so they are my next stop!
 Oddly no one mentioned 3com. I don't know if that's good or bad.

 The sad part is I hate Cisco. Well I hate IOS. It is the most counter
intuitive interface known to man. We currently have several 3550's and one that
is still partially brain dis-functional after a "senior network engineer" at a
hosting facility got a-hold of it to "help out".

 To be honest I miss Ascend. Nice interfaces with actual menu's and interface
for those of us who don't need 50 ways to do something or only find they need
to touch their switches once a year for upgrades or whatever. You could at
least wander through the menu's to figure out/remind yourself what to do.

 If anyone makes a switch with this type of menuing that can actually pass
lots of bits well and is not a consumer toy. I want to know  :)

 Thanks everyone!

  Nicole