You're all over thinking this (was: Re: Vonage Selects TCS For VoIP E911 Service)

Richard Cox Richard at mandarin.com
Thu Jul 21 11:11:50 UTC 2005

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:20:07 +0000 (UTC)
abuse at cabal.org.uk (Peter Corlett) wrote:

> Given that there are UK telephone numbers starting 911

When I worked with Oftel on the design of the new UK numbering schemes,
one of my strongest recommendations was for certain prefixes, including
911, to be ringfenced from all local numbering schemes - for exactly
the reasons that you are now pointing to.

Sadly Oftel were never known for their ability to understand reasoned
argument within the technical arena ...

A current, and related, problem is the introduction of emergency SMS
messaging from cellphones ... a very necessary feature for deaf people
to use, where they cannot access a text/relay service (eg when they are
in a foreign country)

Of course, the design of GSM predicates that such messages will go to
the message center in their home country, and as things stand would be
routed from there to the home country emergency services, regardless
of where in the world the user actually is!

--
Richard