Vonage Selects TCS For VoIP E911 Service

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jul 20 19:56:25 UTC 2005

Perhaps the tube wasn't the best example, although, I remember making cell
calls from places in stations I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have gotten GPS
coverage.

In any case, the fundamental assumption that detailed location information
for
e911 on every phone or phone-like capability is desirable is, in my opinion,
flawed.  I understand why the police-state zealots at places like the FBI
want it, but, I'm not sure why network operators are so anxious to solve
this
problem.

Personally, I'm perfectly happy that my laptop and it's SIP soft-phone
aren't
location traceable at all times.

Owen