Vonage Selects TCS For VoIP E911 Service

David Lesher wb8foz at nrk.com
Wed Jul 20 14:02:57 UTC 2005

> I think this can work.  Put a battery backup in the ATA, to power the
> GPS and real time clock.  The ATA will maintain the internet-routable
> address it's using (not necessarily it's own IP address) indefinitely.
> If the ATA determines it's routable address (or /23 or whatever subnet)
> has changed since being disconnected, it prompts (via voice menu on
> connected phones) that it needs to be taken outside and re-GPS'ed.
> Flashing light on the box confirms when GPS has synced it's location.
> Take it back inside, plug it in, and all is ok again.  Or something
> along those lines....

So will you block all useage until you do so?

Any voluntary compliance solution will fail the CALEA aspect.

And I recall reading somewhere in the trade press that the reason
some cellular carriers went to GPS-based solutions was they could
not meet the FBI specs for accuracy with tower-timing solutions.

And needless to say, I can think of many places both cellular and
VOIP cam be used where GPS will be worthless.

One other point: both the FBI and EMS want to know which office
on which floor of the Empire State Building you are in when you
call, not just a 2-D circle of X radius.

A host is a host from coast to coast.................wb8foz at nrk.com