Vonage Selects TCS For VoIP E911 Service

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Wed Jul 20 12:22:11 UTC 2005

> In the US, that might be true, but, I'm betting that could be very wrong
> in places like London.  I'm betting the station where you boarded the
> Tube could be a LONG way from where you make the 911 call.

There are very few places in the underground tube system where you
can make calls on your mobile. Outside central London where the tube
runs aboveground I would expect that GPS reception would be available
wherever mobile reception is available, after all the tube trains
have lots of windows.

But you do point out that it would be shortsighted of mobile
operators to not use the location information that is already
available in the cell base stations. As for VoIP, well if that
is not running over GPRS or 3G then I suppose it's running over
Wi-Fi and that the user has to authenticate in order for the
Wi-Fi access point to accept his MAC address. Maybe we should
lobby government to require Wi-Fi access point manufacturers
to include location information in their devices. After that,
the VoIP operators and the Wi-Fi access operators should be
able to sort out some protocol for sharing the location info.

Welcome to the 21st century! They never said it was going
to be easy.

--Michael Dillon