Vonage Selects TCS For VoIP E911 Service

Andre Oppermann nanog-list at nrg4u.com
Wed Jul 20 10:26:54 UTC 2005

Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Andre Oppermann wrote:
>
>> To sum it up: Using GPS to geo-locate VoIP phones or adapters is
>> broken by design.
>
> No, it isn't. Relying on satellite connectivity to do so broken, but
> that's not how it works anymore. Did you even read the article regarding
> indoor GPS that I posted earlier in the thread?

I did but those ground based transmitters are only for improving accuracy
by sending you the position delta determined vs. real for that region. It
doesn't help if you don't receive a GPS signal. That ain't satellite radio
which is being terristrically re-broadcast.

For more information have a look the descriptions of these augumented GPS
systems:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS#Techniques_to_improve_GPS_accuracy
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trilateration

To sum it up: Without having good GPS reception you can't do trilateration
and without it you can't apply any accuracy improvements.

--
Andre