Non-English Domain Names Likely Delayed

Neil Harris neil at tonal.clara.co.uk
Tue Jul 19 15:59:29 UTC 2005

Brad Knowles wrote:

>     My point was that, if you're going to try to protect the users
> against homophone/homograph attacks, you need to do it in a
> standardized way.
>
>     Morover, the standards for controlling that need to be held by
> separate entities from those who are creating the tools which will
> implement those standards -- witness Microsoft's recent downgrading of
> Claria/Gator as a malware vendor, simply because they're looking at
> buying the company.

See Unicode Technical Report 36, rev 3.
http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr36/ for a thorough treatment of the
issues involved, under the auspices of the vendor-neutral Unicode
Consortium.

See in particular Appendix B, Confusables Detection,  and Appendix F,
Country-Specific IDN Restrictions.

Finally, I just thought that I should point out that this problem
potentially exists in internationalizing _any_ protocol that uses
human-readable identifiers, not just DNS.

-- Neil

    **
    **