Non-English Domain Names Likely Delayed

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Mon Jul 18 15:03:17 UTC 2005

On 18-jul-2005, at 16:42, Brad Knowles wrote:

>     The registry customers don't pay the bills of ICANN and the
> governments who maintain the ccTLDs.

Governments? You have some strange ideas about ccTLDs.

> The registries pay those bills, and they get their money (in part)
> from those who would intentionally create confusing domain names of
> the sort you would want to prevent.

That's why it's good that browser vendors are keeping an eye on this.

>     You seem to have the technical side down reasonably well.  What
> you need to do now is to work on putting that process into the
> correct place within the context of Internet governance,

Let the lawyers rule the world? Yeah right, that will help.

When the "governance" types get it right, sure, set up all the
browsers to take their cue. In the mean time, let's do what works
today. Ultimately, the user should be in control (like I am with my
named.root file) but the vendors should set good defaults to help the
users who can't do this themselves.