ICANN, VeriSign Will Consider Changes on .net Agreement

Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine brunner at nic-naa.net
Sat Jul 9 06:45:27 UTC 2005

> >I don't know if it is the repeated "ICANN can't be trusted / is corrupt"
> >messaging, or the sensitivity of the .NET "rebid" (aka VGRS deregulation)
> >that got the prompt action --
>
> It's more that ICANN has figured out that registrars are where all
> their revenue comes from, and if they dragged their feet signing
> contracts or paying, ICANN has precious little leverage over them.

<regisitrar_hat="on">
<regisitrar_constituency_hat="on">
<regisitrar_constituency_chair_candidate_hat="former">

That wasn't our reading of the balance of forces (contractualand share)
as recent as the last budget go-around.

YMLV.

</registrar_*>

Vint's sent a note to the Registrar Constituency Chair in reply to the note
from the 30 RC members present at the Luxembourg meeting.

Eric