IPv6 push doesn't have much pull in U.S

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Sat Jul 16 09:33:21 UTC 2005

On 16-jul-2005, at 1:57, Fergie (Paul Ferguson) wrote:

> Someone's  been listening:

Listening to what, exactly? Still nonsense about address space
distribution.

And I'm sure Sprint and Verio (MCI/Worldcom/UUNET too? I have a
tunnel from them in the Netherlands, not sure what they do in the US)
are happy to hear that they're not "major U.S. service provider[s]"
since none of those offers IPv6, right?

Also, I mostly disagree with their conclusion:

Currently only a handful of U.S. technologists need to worry about
IPv6--those that work in the federal government, carriers,
researchers and networking vendors. If you're not in one of those
categories, the IPv6 bug won't reach you for years to come.

Software vendors need to look at IPv6. The OS and router vendors have
their stuff in place. The networks will follow when the time is
right, but none of it means anything if applications can't work over
IPv6.

I'm not saying everyone has to love IPv6, but please get those pesky
facts straight...