Comment - Re: OMB: IPv6 by June 2008

Joseph T. Klein jtk at titania.net
Wed Jul 13 05:07:10 UTC 2005

Just spent the evening catching upon NANOG reading.

IPv6, NAT, VoIP, address reclamation and routing scalability all in
one thread - WOW. Truly a nice mix of top NANOG argument.

Even one posting on sloppy IPv6 peering policy!

So how many who write against IPv6 have tried it?

For any who use IPv6, I am interested in NAT/PT, 6to4, faith and
DSTM experiences. Drop me a line if your willing to share your data.

A few years ago I set up my home network with OS X, XP, and FreeBSD
on it to run dual stacked IPv6/IPv4 - Set up a tunnel - The autoconf
works IMHO better than DHCP - I can watch the Kame swim on all
systems.

Yeah I know deploying IPv6 on a large scale is an annoying thought,
but I think some of the resistance to IPv6 is more from "don't
bother me, I'm busy" than any hard fast technological reason.

I do buy the market arguments that it will be driven by customer
demand, especially in the US. I also side with the view that IPv6
appears to be gaining traction.

USG is the 600lb gorilla customer and network provider will
take notice.

I have tasted the IPv6 forum cool-aide, and don't think its all
that bad.

The stuff is starting to work. I am beginning to think that you
soon will be able to swap 6 for 4 and user will not be the wiser.

Perhaps the cool-aide is spiked?
--
Joseph T. Klein

PSTN: +1 414 961 1690 VoIP: +1 414 431 4231 Mobile: +1 414 628 3380