OMB: IPv6 by June 2008

Phillip Vandry vandry at TZoNE.ORG
Wed Jul 13 03:08:43 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 09:35:37PM -0400, David Andersen wrote:
> samples to squeeze into a low bandwidth channel.  Enter IP header
> compression, which is shockingly effective at compressing IP headers of
> all sorts... if you've dedicated 128 bits for the address, and it's
> still just as static as it was in IPv4, it'll compress to just the same
> amount.  This is an easy technical problem to solve.

IP header compression only works well over a link where you have few
flows (fewer than the number of slots for compression) so my customers
get to save some bandwidth on their access links and I get the
privilege of wasting a lot in the core.

But I certainly take Iljitsch's point: maybe I'm complaining about VoIP,
not about IPv6.

-Phil