London incidents

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 12 18:09:11 UTC 2005

--- "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick at ianai.net> wrote:

> I was not speculating.  From the post:
>
> > Then we have this:
> > http://us.cnn.com/2005/US/07/11/tunnels.cell.phones.ap/index.html
> >
> >   "The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which runs area
> >   transit hubs, bridges and tunnels, decided last Thursday to
> >   indefinitely sever power to transmitters providing wireless
> >   service in the Holland and Lincoln tunnels, spokesman Tony
> >   Ciavolella said Monday."
>
> The Port Authority spokesman said they decided to "indefinitely sever
> power to transmitters".  The source seems reliable, knowledgeable,
> and specific.
>
> So you "jumped into this cat fight" by "speculating" on something
> when you had an authoritative source with good, specific information.

Personal attacks/differences aside.. you need to read that article.  It in no
way is specific about any one thing.  There are several tunnels in NYC, some
which the article says have had "power severed" and some which they say have
"suspended mobile service" (what if the reporter got them mixed up?  which
tunnel are you speaking to? etc., etc.).

There is also quite a few other open-ended statments like who "ordered" the
service to be shut off, and then their is the final paragraph which seems to
refute your claim that some higher US government power orchestrated this whole
thing (presumably to get under your skin)

I stand by my claim that, in the absense of more data, speculation on "why" is
best left to others.  I am not going to second guess their every decision until
such time that I have as much info as they do.  I'm sure they are not perfect,
so I don't expect perfection either.  YMMV.

-Jim P.