London incidents

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Jul 11 20:31:37 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 12:16:34PM +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
> 	I don't know the specifics of how much capacity is reserved, but
> this sort of thing has been done on telecommunications networks for a
> long time.  Back before cell phones existed, you could have "flash"
> traffic on the DDN or even the PSTN, and when placing a flash call
> the phone system would disconnect anyone that stood in your way of
> getting the connection you wanted.
>
> 	You had to be using special telephone equipment, or connected to
> a special operator with the right equipment, and you had damn well
> better be sure that your call was worthy of knocking anyone else off
> the network, but the capability was there.  Even the President would
> normally make his calls at lower than "flash" priority.

See also http://tsp.ncs.gov/ and http://wps.ncs.gov/ , as well as
http://www.disa.mil/gs/dsn/tut_mlpp.html and
http://www.disa.mil/gs/dsn/tut_precedence.html which explain those Fo,
F, I and P keys on AutoVON 16-button WECo 2500s.

Cheers,
-- jra
Designer                +-Internetworking------+----------+           RFC 2100
Ashworth & Associates   |  Best Practices Wiki |          |            '87 e24
St Petersburg FL USA    http://bestpractices.wikicities.com    +1 727 647 1274

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me