The whole alternate-root ${STATE}horse

James R. Cutler james.cutler at consultant.com
Sun Jul 10 12:45:18 UTC 2005

Servers and zones are part of the physical instancing of DNS
roots.  The definition of the root precedes the instance.   In short,
the definition of a naming structure is disjoint from the delivery
and usage of that structure, be it servers and zones or whatever.

Regarding the separation of servers and zones, this is already common
practice. BIND provides a good example of this.  With BIND, one can
serve an arbitrary set of zones from an arbitrary set of servers,
subject to the ability to do zone transfers.  So there is obvious separation.

     Cutler

At 11:35 PM 7/9/2005, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 06:08:25PM -0400, James R. Cutler wrote:
 >    Actually,  many naming and addressing management experts consider that
 >    the existence of a root defines a unique namespace.

The existence of a root *zone* yes.

We really should separate root *servers* from *root* zones.

Cheers,
-- jra

       If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me

-
James R. Cutler
james.cutler at consultant.com