boycotting peers (was Re: E-Mail authentication fight looming: Microsoft pushing Sender ID)

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Sat Jul 9 17:58:25 UTC 2005

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005, J.D. Falk wrote:

> On 07/09/05, Todd Vierling <tv at duh.org> wrote:
>
>> (I may believe in the principles here, mind you, but I'm far to small to
>> make a point.  A workable net-boycott absolutely requires that action be
>> taken by a non-castrated 800lb gorilla.)
>
> 	Boycotts worked great back when spammers were stationary and
> 	users were more complacent, but spam sending techniques have
> 	evolved a lot in the past ten years.

A lot of them are still stationary. You may see lots of traffic coming
from spam proxies but these are all controlled by farms of servers and
ISPs hosting these farms know what these servers are for and let it be.
They are just happy they don't get reports about it any more and their
hosting of such customers can be hidden and behind the scene ...

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net