boycotting peers (was Re: E-Mail authentication fight looming: Microsoft pushing Sender ID)

J.D. Falk jdfalk at cybernothing.org
Sat Jul 9 17:14:00 UTC 2005

On 07/09/05, Todd Vierling <tv at duh.org> wrote:

> (I may believe in the principles here, mind you, but I'm far to small to
> make a point.  A workable net-boycott absolutely requires that action be
> taken by a non-castrated 800lb gorilla.)

	Having lots of vocally unhappy customers == castration?

	The obvious response is to say "well, think about how unhappy
	they are with all the spam" -- but that's not how it works in
	the real world.  Instead, the customer STILL gets tons of spam,
	and is incensed that can't e-mail Aunt Tillie whose only crime
	is to use the same ISP as some zombied machine.

	Boycotts worked great back when spammers were stationary and
	users were more complacent, but spam sending techniques have
	evolved a lot in the past ten years.

--
J.D. Falk                                          a decade of cybernothing.org
<jdfalk at cybernothing.org>                               registered 24 June 1995