OMB: IPv6 by June 2008

Joe Abley jabley at isc.org
Sat Jul 9 01:05:29 UTC 2005

On 8 Jul 2005, at 19:26, Daniel Roesen wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 12:52:35AM +0200, Andre Oppermann wrote:
>>> Multihomed end sites usually get away with receiving only default
>>> route
>>> or some partial routes from their upstreams. So technically you can
>>> BGP multihome with Cisco 1600 or even smaller easily (dunno where BGP
>>> support is starting to become available).
>>
>> Technically yes, practically no.  At least not for the purposes people
>> normally want to multihome.
>
> I cannot confirm this observation from my experience supporting a
> number
> of customers with their multihoming setups that I've either designed
> myself or supported as part of "managed internet access" solutions.

Multi-homing is a tool used in the real network to protect against
various failure modes. Some failure modes (e.g. last-mile link failure)
can receive protection using a small router receiving multiple
defaults. Other failure modes require a full table (e.g. link failure
between the ISP and its upstream, or some other partial withdrawal of
connectivity).

The appropriate architecture depends on the needs of the site in
question. One size does not fit all.

Joe