OMB: IPv6 by June 2008

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Fri Jul 8 23:26:49 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 12:52:35AM +0200, Andre Oppermann wrote:
> >Multihomed end sites usually get away with receiving only default route
> >or some partial routes from their upstreams. So technically you can
> >BGP multihome with Cisco 1600 or even smaller easily (dunno where BGP
> >support is starting to become available).
>
> Technically yes, practically no.  At least not for the purposes people
> normally want to multihome.

I cannot confirm this observation from my experience supporting a number
of customers with their multihoming setups that I've either designed
myself or supported as part of "managed internet access" solutions.

I _did_ see several badly designed setups though that had full tables
(and associated hardware overkill) but didn't need it. Consequence:
wasted money, worse convergence times and routers falling over because
of RAM depletion and fragmentation over time.

Regards,
Daniel