OMB: IPv6 by June 2008

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Jul 8 22:17:42 UTC 2005

At 12:08 AM +0200 2005-07-09, Andre Oppermann wrote:

>  The biggest routers are being upgraded anyway because of even higher
>  link speeds and port desities.

	I'm not surprised.  After all, time does march on.

	But it doesn't help if the largest/fastest line cards available
today are made obsolete overnight by people who have no concept of
what it costs to route packets at OC-192 or OC-768 line speeds, and
suggest that all the routers in the world could be replaced by a
small handful of no-name el-cheapo PCs.

>  A Cisco "CRS-1 16-SLOT LINE-CARD CHASSIS ROUTE PROCESSOR" comes with
>  4 GB of route memory default size.  Juniper's T320 and T640 come with
>  2 GB of main memory default size.  That should take them to some higher
>  number of routes.

	Problem is, a Tier-1 provider is still going to have hundreds or
thousands of routers that have to be upgraded, and there are a number
of Tier-1s.  Tier-2s aren't quite as bad off, but although they buy
some transit from the Tier-1s, they still have a lot of private
peering and they're not that far out of the DFZ themselves.  And the
Tier-2s have a lot less money to pay for the ultra-expensive forklift
upgrades for the BFRs and GSRs and all that other mega-million dollar
equipment.

	Meanwhile, a surprising number of people have to try and get by
with linecards having only 128MB of RAM, at least according to RFC
3869.

>  On the other hand a large DFZ routing table would simply dampen its
>  growth by itself.  If it gets to costly to multihome because of the
>  hardware requirements only few would be able to so.  Ergo we have a
>  negative feedback system here keeping itself in check.  Case solved
>  and closed.

	And Volcanoes nicely solve the population problem for those who
live too close to them.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755