OMB: IPv6 by June 2008

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Jul 8 17:56:27 UTC 2005

At 10:30 AM -0700 2005-07-08, Matt Ghali wrote:

>  You keep using the "entire internet" in your replies, when I was
>  under the assumption that we were discussing the inter-provider DFZ.
>
>  The only routers which could possibly be affected by the "prefix
>  bloat problem" would be multi-homed and mostly inter-provider, which
>  is a small fraction of "all routers on the internet".

	They're the biggest and most expensive routers on the Internet,
and if the routing table were to be allowed to grow without bounds,
they wouldn't be the only ones that would need to be replaced.
Everyone else would very soon have the exact same problem.

	And there are enough of them that you'd probably spend more money
upgrading them than upgrading all the other routers in the world.

>  I'm not trying to accuse you of anything, but your arguments are
>  beginning to sound like a disingenuous straw-man.

	Maybe a slight exaggeration, I grant you.  But certainly on the
right order of magnitude.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755