OMB: IPv6 by June 2008

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Jul 7 19:53:24 UTC 2005

At 1:02 PM -0500 2005-07-07, Kuhtz, Christian wrote:

>>  It doesn't scale.  Regardless of Moore's law, there are some
>>  fundamental physical limits that constrain technology.
>
>  I would contend that is not true.  What says that every device inside a
>  company, family, enterprise etc has to be available and reachable by
>  anyone on the planet in a bidirectional fashion as far as session
>  initiation is concerned?

	The problem is that you don't know, a priori, which devices will
or will not need to be fully externally addressable.  Even if we talk
about just mobile phones, it's easy to imagine billions of devices
world-wide that will need connectivity in the near future.

	Most devices won't need full bidirectional connectivity all the
time, no.  But it's also easy to imagine circumstances where you
decide that you need to change the setting on the VCR or check the
stove to see if you forgot and left it turned on.

	If you can give all the devices in your home full bidirectional
connectivity (via a secure method, of course), then a whole lot of
options open up that would otherwise not have been possible.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755