OMB: IPv6 by June 2008

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Jul 7 20:03:49 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 09:46:53PM +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> We know how many IPv4 addresses there are. We know how many are
> unusable (although this number isn't 100% fixed). We know how many
> were given out. We know how many are given out now each year. What
> kind of magic do you expect will make this problem that's coming go
> away?
>                                                            Are there
> hidden pockets of yet undiscovered address space?

Undiscovered?  No.

But unless the situation has changed since I last looked (which is
possible), there are some sizeable clumps that will never get used by
the people who "own" them, which it has not been practicable to
reclaim.

The tighter the vise, the higher the fence it will be worthwhile to
jump to reclaim that space... just like prospecting for oil.

Cheers,
-- jra
Designer                +-Internetworking------+----------+           RFC 2100
Ashworth & Associates   |  Best Practices Wiki |          |            '87 e24
St Petersburg FL USA    http://bestpractices.wikicities.com    +1 727 647 1274

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me