Request for Peering with AS4788 at Equinix SJO/ASH/LA

John Kristoff jtk at northwestern.edu
Thu Jul 7 20:00:26 UTC 2005

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 12:10:46 -0500
"Jason Sloderbeck" <jason at positivenetworks.net> wrote:

> we're not a provider of transit. I have no desire to find new peers,
> so I'm not considering the offer below -- just wondering if this is a
> red flag that's worth passing on.

Probably not.  When I was at DePaul and when we connected to AADS I
sent a lot of those types of emails to whoever the contacts were that
were also connected there.  Those that had open peering policies would
often email back that they had already configured something and were
ready when I was.  Some, probably chuckling, never responded and some
kindly sent back the equivalent of the "Here is a link to our peering
policy, if you can meet these requirements then sure (but we both know
you can't :-)" standard reply.

Some organizations find it beneficial to peer with as many people as
possible at the exchanges.  The NANOG Peering BoF uses a partially
derisive, but mostly humor intended term for these folks.

John