mh (RE: OMB: IPv6 by June 2008)

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Thu Jul 7 19:12:27 UTC 2005

> Thanks, I'm fully aware of where shim6 is right now.   I'm asking if
> anyone feels this is headed anywhere useful or if we got anything else
> we can use to facilitate mh.

a shim layer seems like a promising enhancement.  ietf-shim6 is taking an
approach to a shim layer that will, I suspect, take some time to mature.  I'd
be surprised if it saw significant deployment anytime within the next 5 years,
at the earliest.

(a more ascerbic view would probably suggest that it is not even likely to
produce a complete specification within that time, with deployment taking
another 5 years...)

the effort is relying on IPv6 and on the disappearance of NATs, for v6.  one
might consider these to be critical dependencies that are rather risky.

--

   d/

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking