OMB: IPv6 by June 2008

David Conrad david.conrad at nominum.com
Thu Jul 7 17:54:25 UTC 2005

Alexei,

On Jul 7, 2005, at 9:58 AM, Alexei Roudnev wrote:
> What's the problem with independent address space for every entity
> (company,
> family, enterprise) which wants it?

It doesn't scale.  Regardless of Moore's law, there are some
fundamental physical limits that constrain technology.

> How many entities do we have on earth?

Well, there are 6 billion people on the planet.  Don't know how many
companies or families.  Don't know how many autonomous devices there
will be (e.g., cars, planes, boats, ships, satellites, light bulbs,
gastro-intestinal probes, etc. etc.).

> It was a problem, but it IS NOT ANYMORE.

You're not thinking big enough.

> IPSec - see all ISAKMP schema and IPSEC security associations, and
> see IPSec
> incompatibilities.

Any new protocol has initial interoperability problems when it is
being developed by different people/teams.

> Compare with SSL (works out-of-the-box in 99.999% cases,
> and allows both, full and hard security with root certificates etc, or
> simple security based on _ok, I trust you first time, then we can
> work_.

a) I suspect most SSL implementations derive out of the same code base.
b) SSL has been around longer.
c) SSLeay had lots of interoperability issues when it first came out.

> Why MS uses PPTP? Because it is much more practuical vs IPSec.

MS uses PPTP because it meets their business requirements.  The fact
that it is more practical is a second order effect.

Rgds,
-drc