OMB: IPv6 by June 2008

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Thu Jul 7 17:18:08 UTC 2005

On 7-jul-2005, at 18:58, Alexei Roudnev wrote:

> Is RT of 1,000,000 routes BIG?

We've had this discussion very many times. Both the maximum number of
routes routers can hold at any time in the future and the number of
prefixes people are going to inject at that time are unknown. This
makes it impossible to guarantee that the former is higher than the
latter.

> Compare with SSL (works out-of-the-box in 99.999% cases,
> and allows both, full and hard security with root certificates etc, or
> simple security based on _ok, I trust you first time, then we can
> work_.

If I'm on the same shared medium as you I can kill your SSL session
with one packet.

> IPv4 was strong because it was designed by practical people and not
> so much
> by commiteets., IPv6 was designed by commiteets mainly. Do you
> know, that
> 'camel is horse designed by commiteet'?

So when is the last time you sent an ICMP source quench? Or set any
of the low delay / high reliability / high throughput bits in the IP
header?

What am I, your janitor? Can't you throw your garbage in the trashcan?