London incidents

Gadi Evron ge at linuxbox.org
Thu Jul 7 17:13:12 UTC 2005

Neil J. McRae wrote:
> A number of explosion incidents have happened in London affecting
> the tube causing website and mobile phone saturation and some
> localised issues with the PSTN. From here we are able to route
> calls ok and networks seems a little busier, The BBC and Sky TV
> websites are very busy.

When 9/11 happened people in the US were surprised about the phone
systems going down and there being "silence", i.e. no tone when you pick
up the phone. In Israel, unfortunately, we are pretty used to such
events and what follows technically.

I wonder, has anyone ever prepared a best practices paper of some sort
as to what can be expected in cases of big emergencies and mass
hysteria, for networks?

Thanks,

	Gadi.