OMB: IPv6 by June 2008

Andre Oppermann nanog-list at nrg4u.com
Thu Jul 7 14:23:59 UTC 2005

Joe Abley wrote:

> On 7 Jul 2005, at 08:27, Andre Oppermann wrote:
>
>> Err... So you want to protect the incumbent ISP's?  Even those once
>> started off with 200 customers.  Who is going to decide if some (today)
>> small ISP is worthy of receiving its own PA space or not?
>
> Pretty much any ISP is capable of obtaining their own PA space under
> current RIR policies, regardless of size. The prohibition on PA space is
> to end sites, not ISPs.

I know but I was responding to Iljitsch who told us:

# Address allocation is unsustainable but that's not IPv6's fault: it's  done the same way
# (or even worse) in IPv4. But somehow the industry  as a whole seems incapable of
# recognizing that having each and every  ISP with 200 customers (not even that in
# AfriNIC/LACNIC regions), no  matter how regional/local, occupy a place at the top of the
# global  addressing hierarchy is a flawed idea.

> The myth that only large, established ISPs are able to obtain PA IPv6
> address space really needs to disappear.

It was about a spot in the global routing table.  No matter if one gets
PA or PI they get a routing table entry in the DFZ.  There is no way around
it other than to make the routing protocols more scaleable.

--
Andre