London incidents

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Jul 7 10:25:08 UTC 2005

At 11:13 AM +0100 2005-07-07, Neil J. McRae wrote:

>  A number of explosion incidents have happened in London affecting
>  the tube causing website and mobile phone saturation and some
>  localised issues with the PSTN. From here we are able to route
>  calls ok and networks seems a little busier, The BBC and Sky TV
>  websites are very busy.

	From <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/uk/4659093.stm>:

Thursday, 7 July, 2005, 10:03 GMT 11:03 UK

Multiple blasts paralyse London

Several people have been injured after explosions on the Underground
network and a double-decker bus in London.

A police spokesman said there were "quite a large number of
casualties" at Aldgate Tube Station.

And Scotland Yard confirmed one of several reports of explosions on
buses in the city - in Tavistock Place - but said the cause was not
yet known.

UK Home Secretary Charles Clarke said several explosions in central
London had caused "terrible injuries".

"The health services are in support to deal with the terrible
injuries that there have been," Clarke told reporters outside Downing
Street.

Number 10 said it was "still unsure" whether the explosions were a
terrorist attack and although casualties were reported, no further
details were yet available.

	[...]

British Transport Police said incidents took place at Aldgate,
Edgware Road, King's Cross, Old Street and Russell Square stations.

Scotland Yard confirmed they were assisting with a "major incident"
and said there were casualties.

Hospitals have said they are no longer accepting non-emergency cases,
BBC Five Live reported.

The National Grid, which supplies power to the Underground, said
there had been no problems with its system which could have
contributed to the incidents.

	[ ... ]

The Underground "Tube" system is completely closed, the buses are not
running, all public transport is shut down.

Police spokespeople have requested that citizens do not call the
Emergency Services number unless there is an immediate
life-threatening situation, and that if you are not hurt, you should
stay wherever you are, stay safe, and do not travel.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755