[OT] Re: Recall: SORBs

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Jul 6 16:48:11 UTC 2005

At 9:33 AM -0700 2005-07-06, Gregory Hicks wrote:

>  Yeah BUT!  A message can only be "recalled" if it has NOT been read.

	By a compatible Microsoft client.

>  If the message goes to a 'list' of people, the ones that have NOT read
>  the message will not see it.

	If they use a compatible Microsoft client, and if that "recall"
protocol works exclusively through the use of the key word "recall"
and the specific subject to be recalled.  Given how many people post
or send how many messages with the same subject, would you really
like to recall every message you've sent in a given thread?  What if
someone has been on vacation for a while and hasn't read their
massive backlog of NANOG messages?  And how do you handle this within
an archive system?

	I sure hope that Microsoft is smarter than that, and instead
works at the message-id level, or something else relatively unique.

>  So it really doesn't do what one would think it does.

	I've heard about this feature.  Microsoft is at least being
honest about the ability to recall messages which have/have not been
read.  So, as far as that's concerned, I don't think there's any
disingenuity here.

	But there are more fundamental issues to be concerned about.
Implementation method is one.

	Of course, this is all off-topic, so if anyone wishes to continue
discussing this subject we should probably find a more appropriate
list.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755