OT? /dev/null 5.1.1 email

Eric A. Hall ehall at ehsco.com
Wed Jul 6 06:04:54 UTC 2005

On 7/6/2005 1:32 AM, Pekka Savola wrote:

>>Make your secondary mx aware of all the valid recipient addresses.
>
> Are there mechanisms in postfix or sendmail to do this automatically,
> or should this be done out-of-band?  I've tried looking for this
> feature, but found nothing; maybe I don't know the right terms to
> search for.

Just about any MTA that is serious enough to be used also supports some
kind of networked database for recipient lookups. With postfix, check the
docs for local_recipient_maps. I don't remember how this is done in
Sendmail, but it's possible there too.

There can be a second step here, of separating the recipient lookups from
the known (local) delivery mailboxes. Getting the lookups and the remote
delivery to work together can be non-obvious and tricky. With postfix,
check http://www.postfix.org/LDAP_README.html for a discussion on using
virtual maps to make this work.