OT? /dev/null 5.1.1 email

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 5 20:20:01 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 10:05 -1000, Randy Bush wrote:
> > However, is seems the problem is over on the secondary MX (Postfix)
> > which only has a list of legit relay domains for pMX.  When pMX is back
> > online sMX fwds it's queue, but at that point pMX rejects to sMX...who
> > then rejects to Sender.  I'm not sure how I can get away from that
> > happening.
>
> what is the purpose of having a secondary mx?

The first one goes up and down more than it probably should.  :-)

The principle purpose of the secondary mx, in this case, is to accept
email for the primary mx during periods where the primary is down, being
re-configured, or loadavg > 10.  The primary handles a few chatty
mailinglists, and other than abuse@, postmaster@, admin@, there are no
real user accounts involved.

My only reason for not dropping the secondary mx is that, while I am a
big proponent of using your upstream SMTP server, those who deliver
directly would get "temporarily unavailable" messages (or worse).  Of
course, at least on the primary, most of those that deliver directly are
dropped due to DUL RBLs.

-Jim P.