The whole alternate-root ${STATE}horse (was Re: Enable BIND cache server to resolve chinese domain name?)

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Jul 5 05:14:08 UTC 2005

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 22:32:52 EDT, "Jay R. Ashworth" said:

> Well, Steve; that reply is a *little* disingenuous: all of the
> alternative root zones and root server clusters that *I'm* aware of
> track the ICANN root, except in the rare instances where there are TLD
> collisions.

And *that* is just a tad disingenuous itself.  If you have 1 alternate root
that tracks ICANN's dozen-ish TLDs and the country-code TLDs, and then adds 2-3
dozen of its own, there's little room for amusement.  If however, you have a
Turkish root that tracks ICANN's dozen, and then adds 50 or 60 of its own, and
a Chinese root that tracks ICANN's dozen, and then adds 75 or 100 of its own,
it becomes interesting to watch a Turkish user try to reach one of those 75
Chinese TLDs, or the Chinese user try to reach one of the 50 Turkish additions,
or either of those users trying to reach the *.special-sauce domain the first
alternate root created.

A collision isn't the only failure mode to worry about....